Price Range: From to

Compare Listings

Energy Performance Certificate – EPC

You will need to provide an EPC for a property when it is built, sold or rented. This is for potential buyers and tenants and must be available before you market your property to rent or sell.
The EPC has information about a property’s energy use and average energy costs, it also includes recommendations about you can reduce energy use and save money. The certificate is valid for 10 years and gives the property an energy efficiency rating from A to G with A being the most efficient.
You will need to find an accredited assessor and can find out where to find one via the website here England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
They will produce the certificate when they have assessed your property. You can be fined if you don’t get an EPC when you need one.
The person selling the house, the landlord or the letting agent must show you the EPC if you are buying or renting.

Buildings that don’t need an EPC include:

places of worship
temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square metres
industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
some buildings that are due to be demolished
holiday accommodation that is rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
listed buildings – you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character
residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year
If you want to see what other properties EPCs – you can look at them free of charge via the government website either by the property address or the report reference number. You will also have the option to opt out of the register if you don’t want other people to be able to see your EPC.